Baking bread could be easy, when you do everything correct from the beginning. Very often we forget to do something very important but it is possible to do it right.
Here I try to show how to do it at home, in the oven, using only the sourdough starter from San Francicso, not adding any commercial yeast.
– 150 g of the starter
– White bread flour (strong white bread flour) – 350 – 400 gramm
– Strong wholemeal bread flour – 20 g
– Wholegrain rye flour -15 g
– Salt – 1tsp
– Water (clear, not chlorine water ) - 125 - 150 ml
– Optional: nuts (sunflower, flax, sesame…), teaspoon of olive oil
– Mix all the ingredients with a spoon and cover with a lid or put to the bread machine for mix only. The machines are mostly programmed for using yeast, so we may use them only for mix ingredients.
– Wait 8 – 10 hours , keeping the dough at room temperature, allow it to rise.
After that time, check the dough -
- if it has raised rapidly - put the mixture to the fridge for 6 – 8 hours
- if it has raised just a little, leave it at room temperature for next 6 -8 hours.
VERY IMPORTANT - THE DOUGH SHOULD NOT FALL DOWN.
Now place the dough on a baking pan, form a ball and put to the oven to warm up few hours and we are on track to get the best sour dough bred like this from San Francisco.
Bake in the oven
Preheat the oven to 220 ° C
Put the loaf into the oven and allow it to bake for 30 minutes with both upper and lower heating elements turned on.
Bake for another 20 - 30 minutes at a lower temperature (190/180 ° C ). After that time it should be ready to take out from the oven and allow to cool.